Tri-ing

This is my journey from couch to athlete.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Limit the whining

Tuesday night I went for a 5km run with the hypothermic clinic, but one of the people I was running with had a nasty chest cold and couldn't catch her breath so we walked the last 2kms. I don't mind because as a group leader, it's what you sign up for. It was a bit disappointing because I was having a pretty good run.

Wednesday (Jan 19) I skip hill training because my achilles has really been bothering me - specially after the long run on Sunday. I checked on RW and it says that it's either caused by overpronation or hill training. Since I changed the insoles in my shoes and started hill training, it could be one of the other, or both. Went to do a 5km and was feeling pretty good to the 3km mark and then my shins and ankles really started to hurt. It was cold out so I walked for a few minutes and then tried to run but the pain started shooting up my shins.

It's so frustrating dealing with pain. It reminds me of that boardgame - Mastermind where you have to guess what colour pegs the other person put up and they'll tell you, "you got 2 right" but you don't know which two. Today I have a massage booked and I'm going to give up the trail shoes and go back to regular running shoes. I thought the trail shoes would be good for winter but we barely have any snow on the ground (STILL) and I do 90% of my running on pavement, so they may be too rigid. I'll try the new insoles in the new shoes, but if I still have problems I'll switch back to my orthotics.

End whine

1 Comments:

  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger Jordan said…

    I've been lazy and haven't done any hill training since before christmas.

    I hate running with pain. There's nothing worse. I hope switching shoes will help!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home