Tri-ing

This is my journey from couch to athlete.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Happy Holidays

I'm trying to keep up with training, but I think this time of year is pretty busy.

Last week our clinic ran hills for the first time. We did 3 and it went pretty well. I find a lot of people really don't like hills, but for me there is some peace in it. For me, hills are proof of how far I've come. In June I went to try hills for the first time and finish running up the hill once. It was amazing to see improvement every week when I added 1 and managed to make it to 6 repeats. Now every time I run hills I think that first time. It is definitely a time when you think what other people think when they see us doing hills - you are crazy, who runs up and down a hill??? :0) Like all of my runs, I'm way behind everyone else. For the last half-marathon I almost all of my training by myself. When I'm alone I'm ok with my pace. When I run with other people, I realize how slow I am and always doubt my ability to race (although I've only been last once). I want to run faster but my mind and legs just don't seem to work together.

Here is my whine for the day: I know that people are being supportive and it's nice, but you start to feel like everyones pet when you have to hear, "good job" everytime someone passes you going the other way. When I'm running hills I'm concentrating and don't really feel like answering so I just nod. People mean well and I don't want to be ungrateful, but just a smile and a hi (if we're not running hills together) will do.

Last Friday (December 21) I had the chance to sneak in a run. I thought I would try for a 4km straight through. I did a couple of 5km straight runs in the summer and it went pretty well. Last weeks - not so good. I made it about 3km and just needed a walk break. Started running for a while and then took another walk break. I did manage to run the rest of the way home after that so the run wasn't a total bust but it didn't go as well as I would have liked.

Skipped my long run because Saturday was Dylan's birthday, so we spent the day together as a family. It was a lot of fun and a nice break from planning for Christmas.

Tuesday Dec 27th - clinic night. Talk on biomechanics and a 4km run, according the schedule. We did about 4.8kms (average pace 8:07/km). It wasn't a speedy one but it went by quickly. That was one of the first times an almost 5km run felt so short. Definitely can't complain about the weather - a perfect couple of degrees ABOVE zero.

Wednesday Dec 28th - hills again. This week 4 hill repeats. After each one it was a little harder to recover but it went well. I always wonder how I'm going to make it to 9 (always looking too far ahead). There are no hills on the Hypothermic Half course but I can definitely use the leg strength for biking.

I've had a nagging pain in my calves and achilles for about a week. I think it may be the cause of my slower runs this week. I'm not sure if it's the new shoes (I bought Saucony trail shoes in anticipation of snow being on the ground, but it's still bare), or just tight muscles. I'm going to try some yoga and maybe a massage to try to work it out.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home