This is my journey from couch to athlete.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

True to my Scottish heritage

Running this week was a bust because I'm too cheap to buy new shoes before I get my coupon for speaking at a clinic on Monday. I went out Wednesday, made it about 20 mins and walked back because my ankle and shins were hurting. For my Sunday run, I decided to put my orthotics in and see if that would help, but forgot to put on the duct tape to prevent blisters. Same result - 20 mins out and quit because it hurt.

I know as soon as I have pain in my shins that I need to replace my shoes, but I always seem to push them a little further. I know better, but my Scottish half just took over this week and now I wasted two workouts.

The rest of the week:

Thursday - ultraconditioning day. I'm not managing a lot more reps during this workout but I feel a lot better afterwards. Friday I only felt a little bit tired in the legs. A big improvement from the first few times I did this workout and had to rest for two days afterwards.

Friday - swam for an hour. Did part of the swim with fins and tried some drills. Then ladders (but I haven't mastered the timing). At the end I decided to try 50m as fast as I could. I left on the 30 and couldn't believe my eyes when I got to the other side and it said 48! I was aiming to try and get there in under 30 seconds. I thought maybe I had messed something up so I tried it again and got the same result. I'm no speedster in the water, but I'm fine with my times. For me, I don't want to spend 3 days a week swimming to take 5 or 10 minutes off my time. I would rather spend my time on the bike and gain some time there.

Saturday: I don't know exactly what the wind was blowing at but it was at least 25km/hr. The plan was to ride for 2 hours and include a decent hill in the middle. I got out and felt really tired and grumpy. Pushed on and did ok but I started dry heaving at the halfway point. I went to get a friend to drive me home but there was no answer at their house so I decided to try and ride home. I soldiered on, straight in to the wind, and managed to get back. Just as I was turning in to my neighbourhood the dry heaving started again. I really should have eaten something more substantial after swimming on Friday. I made it home and managed to put in around an hour and a half.

As my friend puts it, we have duelling blogs; each week one of us is quitting GWN. This was MY week!


  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger eastglen77 said…

    hey kerry, just think, it's almost time to start tapering!


  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger Kerry said…

    I think I've already started ;) I went to the RR to get new shoes and they don't have my size anywhere in the city, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do for my runs this week.

  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger Running~Jordan said…

    Cripes!! Taper? I haven't even started training yet!!!!!

    Really - I'm freaking out. I'm panicking. I can't even write in my blog I'm so worried. Shoes? Who needs shoes? We need a shovel - might as well start digging our grave!!

    Er. Sorry about that :)

  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger Kerry said…

    Jordan: sorry, that really made me laugh! If it helps, it's really good to know I'm not alone in this sinking feeling of "I have no idea how I'm going to finish this race!" At the end of the day, you'll find out what you're capable of and go from there.

  • At 7:41 AM, Blogger eastglen77 said…

    now's a good time to start freaking....2day was supposed to b my long ride....and it's raining!...that's it, i'm bailing out!



Post a Comment

<< Home