Tri-ing

This is my journey from couch to athlete.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Triathlon training in full swing now

Monday and Tuesday were rest days. I wanted to do something on Tuesday but I was exhausted after 8 hours of facilitating so I took the night to relax.

Wednesday - ultra-conditioning workout. I love this workout, but I still hurt for a couple of days afterwards.

Friday - swam about 1000m. Tried to join a "drop in" group at Kinsmen but it wasn't drop-in at all. This group goes regularly. I had no idea how to do the drills they were doing and the coach was totally unhelpful. A couple of the ladies in my lane tried to help but they needed to do their workout. I was really dissappointed in the lack of help, even though I went and told the coach that I had never been before. Half way through I got out of the pool and went over a few lanes to just swim laps by myself. I'm going to call a friend that has experience coaching and get some one-on-one help. I just want to train properly in the pool instead of doing tons of laps the wrong way.

Saturday - first outdoor ride of the season!!!! Met up with a few friends and biked 30km in about an hour and a half. Took it easy and enjoyed being out. Today wasn't for training, just shaking out the legs.

Sunday - ran 9km (avge pace 8:13/km). Felt tired and slow today. Took a lot of extra walk breaks but finished not too badly. This is the first weekend of training in all 3 sports so I'm ok with a slower run today.

Time to put in some bricks before Coronation.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:56 PM, Blogger Warren Footz said…

    was the coach glen playfair by any chance?.....it takes a while to get into the drills...i've tried going out withe the st albert roadrunners, and they were fun, but just not the times that i can swim...but try a few of the drills, i usually train after the coached swims and just try and do what he's put up on the board....or just do things like catch up (do free style, but try to glide as far as you can, don't drop one hand until the other catches up)...or there's the freestyle thing where your hands never leave the water..it looks stupid (as all drills do) but it's tough.......also the swiming on one side all the time, swimming using just one arm is kind of tough too, but it's worth trying...watch the walls and notices at the kinsmen too, usually someone runs a total immersion clinic as well!

    keep it up, you rally sound committed, as opposed to me, who should be

    - warren

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger Jordan said…

    I was going to ask if it was the Coronation group? I found it difficult at first to say the least to a) fit in with people who all knew each other and b) learn the drills.

    I just asked questions and really bugged Glen and the other swimmers. I really try to make the Saturday drop in's as their more focused on long/slow rather than some of the speed drills they do during the week.

    I dropped in Tuesday night and Glen was doing speed with the rest of the group and had me doing kick drills with another guy who was as novice or more as me. It helped and it was nice to get some attention! ;-)

     
  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger Kerry said…

    I don't know the guys name, since he never even bothered to introduce himself. It was at Kinsmen and they advertise it as a drop-in session for intermediate to advanced swimmers that can swim 400m continious. I get there and he says 800m warmup. Of course the people in the slow lane didn't get that much finished before he stopped us and started the drills. Maybe I should go for the beginner class???

     
  • At 3:10 PM, Blogger Jordan said…

    Any chance you can join the Coronation group? MTWT 8:30 - 9:30 drop in and Saturday swims are 11:30 - 1PM. If you need a ride I could probably come get you on Saturdays or even in the evenings :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home