Tri-ing

This is my journey from couch to athlete.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Is it really coming together?

Went in Monday for new shoes, but they have to bring in my size and they "hope" they will be in by Sunday! Lucky they came in on Saturday.

Training for this week:

Wednesday: ran 6km (with a hill thrown in for good measure) felt pretty good but I really need new shoes!

Thursday: ultraconditioning, felt ok but a little tired today. I tried some "real" push-ups but still don't really have the strength to do them very well and it aggravated my shoulder.

Friday: skipped training, my legs felt sore and I felt really worn out.

Saturday: rode with the "big boys" and they wanted to make sure I could handle GWN so we did 4 hours, 85kms with 5 big hill climbs. Two of the hills I struggled to get up and my quads were burning. By the last 10km (and all of the hills) my legs felt tired but ok. My shoulder was in agony though. It's the right shoulder that has been giving me problems. Gripping the brake on the downhills put a lot of stress on that shoulder (I'm a big wuss on the downhills!). Right near the end I moved my thumb to change gears and there was pain shooting across the top of my shoulder (hmmmm probably not a good thing). I got back to the store, picked up my new shoes and went for a 10 minute run.

Sunday: ran 10km (1:22) my legs were tired but not too bad today. My shoulder is still a little sore but better today.

I don't have time for a long training ride next weekend so that's it - as they say, the hay is in the barn. I'll do a couple of hours next week (or break it down and do a brick instead), hopefully another open water swim this week and a few more runs. The ride on Saturday was the first time I thought I'll be ok on this ride. I still have no idea how I'm going to manage it all but at least I know I can do all of the distances individually. Now I just need to take it one sport at a time.

3 weeks and counting....

4 Comments:

  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger Warren Footz said…

    good week....last week ended on wednesday...did a couple of good swims, a couple of 40k days on the bike and some running...but hopefully this will be a good week, 'cause next wednesday 2 of my kids are outa school, and my training really takes a hit....might be a good thing, some stuff is starting to hurt

    w

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger Kerry said…

    It will be time to taper anyway! You'll just have a forced taper.

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger Warren Footz said…

    sounds like your ready, and just thing, less then 2 months to death race!......i've given up on a gwn blog, it's now nothin but d race

    w

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger Kerry said…

    My mind won't even go to the Death Race until July 4th (I'll give myself one day to rest). Then it's time to buy a headlamp and put in some night runs!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home