Tri-ing

This is my journey from couch to athlete.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Why walk when you can run?

So, after meeting with the coach and discussing the "no walk break" philosophy, I figured I better get started with this so I can be on the right page when we start working together in November. Since heart rate is vital for this type of training I decided to try out the garmin HRM again (it caused real chaffing issues last time).

Sunday - goal: run as long as possible without taking a break (planned run distance 7-8km) Outcome: I DID IT!! 7.5km with no walk breaks. We stopped once to jump a puddle and have a quick drink. To my surprise I felt great. I checked my heart rate periodically (arond 170) but didn't bother looking at the time. I just got in to a rhythem and went. It helped that I had actually managed to convince a couple of my running friends to try this experiment out with me.

Wednesday - planned 4-5km nice easy run (since I have Melissa's 22km this weekend). Another great run with no walk breaks! I think I'll be able to adjust to this just fine.

Now to start monitoring the heart rate. I still hate the garmin chest strap so I think I'll have to buy a new hrm that I like.

Highlight of the week...picking my new wheels on Friday! Got to take it for a ride on Monday and it felt really nice. I was more comfortable in the aero position than sitting up, which is a great change from my old bike!! Hopefully it will encourage me to stay in aero for longer periods.

Off to the race this weekend.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger Warren Footz said…

    i am so green with envy, and i want 1

    w

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger Kelodie said…

    This is fantastic, Kerry!! I think I'm gonna start to avoid taking walk breaks as soon as I'm comfortable with 10:1s! If you can do it, I can at least try it! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home