Tri-ing

This is my journey from couch to athlete.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Rest has the opposite effect - who knew?

I took some well earned time off. I never stopped altogether, I still run twice a week with my friends at run club and was riding my mtn bike but doing much less than I am used to. I have rediscovered my love for wine, visiting with my friends and watching tv, there is still nothing on but I love being able to just sit on my couch it and watch it anyway. The more I rested, the worse I felt though! My back was getting sore and things just started to ache. One day I decided to go and do a little yoga (something else I use to do before my days were consumed with swimming, biking and running), and couldn't believe how much better I felt afterwards. I finally put my tri bike on the fluid trainer and rode for about 45 mins last week. And once again I felt a ton better afterwards. So, the answer is in the middle - sit on the couch and feel tired and crappy, train 6- 7 days a week and feel tired and crappy. That's good to know that the middle is my happy ground.

The last month, I've become very relaxed about my goals and activities. I actually have trouble getting motivated enough to even create a goal because my heart just isn't in it to train for anything.

I am really happy that I have fulfilled some of the promises I made to myself and my family while I was training for IM....
To go hiking and biking, which have both been fantastic! These are days you're glad to be alive...



I still haven't gone for a manicure and pedicure though - that is still on the list. A girls day out would be really fun.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger Jordan said…

    Count me in for a girls day!

    (soon?)

    Your post made me think of the Natalie Merchant song "These are the Days"

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know what I noticed in these pics? You look happy! Whatever you're doing, keep at it... seems like it's working. :)

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself. I have lower back issues and have found that as long as I am exercising it doesn't bother me but as soon as I start slacking off I begin having problems again. Including the shooting pain down the leg type of issues. I've found pilates helpful as well since it strengthens my core.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home