Tri-ing

This is my journey from couch to athlete.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Just one last post before I embark on the final leg of a journey that started about 4 years ago when I watched an Ironman on TV and decided, "I'm going to do that one day." I remember getting in the pool again and having to swim a lap front crawl, then a lap back crawl while I trained for the first 300m swim. When I think I can't do this, I think back to how undertrained I was for that first half iron - no program, no coach, just did some swimming, biking and running and showed up on race day. I have been a nervous wreck all week, and almost burst in to tears every time someone asks me if I'm ready or excited for the race. I don't think you ever really feel ready. I've thought about this race for years, and definitely every single day since I signed up last September.

What to tell myself tomorrow....

Trust in the training!! 

Just put your head down and do what needs to be done

EAT or DNF

Don't give up!

Everyone is behind you - your friends and family are supporting you

THIS IS YOUR DREAM! 

I know I keep saying thanks to everyone, but I know there isn't an athlete out there that doesn't have a whole entourage of people that make this possible for us. Your family gives up lots of time with you, your friends join you for workouts that they wouldn't normally do, and everyone listens to you talk endlessly about it. This race has consumed me and my life for the last year. Its been quite a journey, and I've learned that I'm not one of those people that can do this year after year. Hopefully all goes well tomorrow and I can just sit back and finally enjoy and appreciate what I've achieved. From the couch to athlete!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home