Tri-ing

This is my journey from couch to athlete.

Sunday, December 02, 2007

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step


It's been so long since I've written, I guess I have a few things to catch up on. The ankle thing was worse than I thought. It took three weeks for the swelling to go down. I stopped running but still swam and rode. It may have healed faster if I had stopped everything. Even now I don't think it's completely healed so I think I'm so clumsy I actually sprained it. 
One of my adventures in the fall was to take up mountain biking. What a blast! After spending the summer being scared of being hit by a car on the road, the idea of falling off your mountain bike just didn't seem so bad anymore. I loved trail riding so I went out and picked up a Specialized Rockhopper for myself - yay, new toys. 

Last week the training for Ironman started. Not the real training, this is just the base building stuff. The challenge has been getting back in to training 6 days a week. In the past two weeks I've been able to get in all of the workouts but haven't actually completed all of the suggested times. It's been close, I'm about an hour off of the 9 hrs I should be at. It's been a challenge, but one that will get easier when I finish university this week (and I'm done the entire certificate now, so no studying for a while!) 

The program right now is 3 bikes, 3 runs, 1 swim/week. The swimming has actually been pretty good and just got better with the purchase of a swimP3 (an mp3 player for the water), tried it yesterday and it was the best swim I've ever had. Having music made it so much more relaxing. I know I'm a typical triathlete with lots of toys. 

So the journey to Ironman has begun. I hope I can get back on schedule soon - it's not like me to not finish all of the workouts. My knees have started to hurt again so it's back for more needles. She kept me in good shape last year so I'm not worried. 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home