Tri-ing

This is my journey from couch to athlete.

Friday, September 23, 2005

Weekly Wednesday run

My comment for this week; these long runs are killing me.

Monday and Tuesday I didn't do anything. My legs felt tired but better then last week.

The Wednesday plan: run between 6-8 km at a faster pace

The reality: dragged myself through 6km at a pace slow for even me. My legs felt like they were made of lead. At the 4km point I was feeling a bit better and thought I would really challenge myself to run the extra 2km and do the full 8 but a couple of minutes later I returned to my senses and decided to listen to my legs as they cried to stop.

The result: I was proud of myself because it's tough to run when your body really doesn't want to and I think it was a great opportunity to work on the mental side of longer races. Learning to motivate yourself and keep going when your body just doesn't want to move, is important.

On Thursday I had quite a bit of pain in my shins (an ongoing issue that I wear custom orthotics to prevent) so I did a 1/2 hour of Yoga and iced for a while. They are feeling better today but I'm really unsure about whether I should attempt the 20km LSD that is on the program for this Sunday. I feel like I'm very close to an injury and if I continue to push I may ruin my race. My body just doesn't seem ready to handle 3 straight weeks of long runs. I know these programs are designed by experts in the field but I think the "to complete" half marathon program doesn't provide enough recovery time. If I did it again, I would have scaled back last weeks run and done the 20km this week....live and learn.

The plan for training this weekend - get in a few laps at the pool (I haven't been in the water since my last triathlon August 28th), MAYBE try for about a 10km run and seize the opportunity to go on a group bike ride on Sunday. I'll write on the reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home